I’ve seen this meme spread on many of my favorite blogs. Some of these memes are pretty silly, but this one seems interesting – in that it allows readers to get to know the blog author a little better. I’ve actually enjoyed reading some pretty fascinating things about some of my blog friends and neighbors. To me, social media is all about community, and this is part of it.
Besides, anyone looking around here, or anywhere else I blog and ‘cast, can see I’m all for having fun. So thanks to Kammie, I’m it, and the theme is…
Five Things You Might Not Know About Me
- I sang in a heavy metal band, was a surf bum and a skate-punk. Yep…
- A couple of weeks before meeting my wife, I had planned a cross country trip to L.A., where I was going to board a cargo ship and work my way to Hawaii – to study with a shaman. About a month before I was scheduled to go, I met my wife, and 15 years later, have had much more exciting adventures. I almost always follow my gut, and my gut said she was the one. My gut has yet to let me down.
- My only “real” job, aside from a part-timer at a bookstore, was as a prep and line cook in an Italian fusion restaurant. At one point I seriously considered being a chef, but I didn’t like the idea of being married to the kitchen (the chef I worked under was on his 4th wife – and that was shaky). I’m still a foodie, do most of the cooking, and watch an inordinate amount of cooking shows.
- As an Army brat, I have been in every state in the Union at least overnight, except Hawaii. Gonna add that one ASAP.
- My 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Barnes said I’d never get anywhere in life drawing weird little pictures, and I almost didn’t graduate high school because of failing an art class.
Well, there you go. So now I guess it’s my turn to do the tagging, so I tag Mike Vizdos, Rosa Say, Karen Wallace, Greg Balanko-Dickson, and Dave Rothacker
Tony, we have to fix this Hawaiâ€˜i neglect of yours! Especially as an ex surf bum … itâ€™s meant to be! Weâ€™re happy to be mea hoâ€˜okipa (hostess) for you and your â€˜ohana (family) â€“ just say when youâ€™re ready to come!
Hey Tony, saddle up for Hawaii in 2007, our family is going.
BTW, we keep missing each other, gotta keep my eye out for you on Skype. 🙂
This is a fun game, isn’t it? But what else would we expect? This is a fun community.
Love your “weird, little pictures” – from someone who was a primary school, teacher for 23 years. 🙂
(That’s elementary school in the USA I believe…)
When you make it to Hawaii, you’ve got to visit Kauai. When I was there I was certain that I had found paradise! Exquisitely beautiful!
I have so enjoyed reading people’s 5 things. Great fun!
Tony, Iâ€™m glad you tagged Mike â€¦ I may be, scratch that, may have BEEN one of the only people who didnâ€™t know what scrum is. Up to now, Iâ€™d only remembered my daughterâ€™s soccer coach saying it. (I like your pig and chicken. Come to Hawaii and draw them on a surboard!)
Rosa â€“ I’d love to be able to come. Honestly the only thing that keeps us from coming now is the long flight with a 2-year old :). Making software process funny is an interesting challenge. And funny you should mention the art on surfboards. I use to help a friend shape and glass boards, and I did a bunch of custom artwork for them.
Greg â€“ Man, my wife and I would really like to bring the kids next year, but we still think it’ll be too long for the little one.
Carolyn â€“ I agree. It’s a great community to be a part of.
Thea â€“ Thanks so much. Fortunately my daughters are in a school where they encourage that sort of thing rather than squash it. It sounds like from your coaching message that you were that kind of supportive teacher 🙂
Kirsten â€“ I’ve heard that a lot about Kauai. Definitely will be on the itinerary.
Sorry I am coming a little late to the party – it’s been a busy week! Will accept your tag and get something up today! Thanks… (I think;-)
Thanks for accepting the mission…it’s been great to know you a little better! I LOVE that you were a surfer dude and a punker…how cool that you skipped the shaman and got hitched instead.
Way cool man….
Tony – the inspiration that your third grade teacher provided is priceless!
Karen â€“ Glad you could play. I loved your list.
Kam â€“ Thanks for tagging me. It’s been fun to read some cool things about my favorite bloggers.
Dave â€“ Absolutely. Over the years I think there as been a little “in your face” driving me. 😉
A nice touch to the blog.
Too many blogs I read are way to impersonal. Even though mine is fairly orientated towards the creative industry I give it something personal by posting my own photography.
Nice illustration too by the way.
Comments are closed.