Cultivating Business Relationships Is Not Like Cultivating Turnips

Cultivating Business RelationshipsThe very first law in advertising is to avoid the concrete promise and cultivate the delightfully vague.” ~ Bill Cosby

You know what drives me crazy? Home-based businesses that try to advertise and market like a big corporate monster. From the 1980’s.

One of the biggest benefits of being small is agility and the personal touch. It’s an asset. You can develop deep relationships on a personal level. Shallow cultivation works great for turnips, but not for business relationships.

[Read more…]

My Spin on the Goals Meme

What Drives YouI’m always a little apprehensive about these memes

Not that I don’t think they’re interesting – on other blogs. See, as I say pretty often here, this place is more about you than it is about me. My words and little drawings are there strictly to get you inspired, thinking, and taking action.

So when it comes to a meme that’s focused on me, it’s a little weird.

[Read more…]

What Do You Want To Know About Being a Home-Based Entrepreneur?

Call for QuestionsI love writing about this stuff. I hope you love reading about it. My guess is that you do – mainly because you’re still reading :).

I’ve received some terrific questions about being a home-based entrepreneur – and I want more.

Though I have ideas and topics for articles to keep me writing for years, I’ve found that I really enjoy answering your questions more directly. I do the writing, and draw the cartoons, but this site is more about you than it is about me.

What Do You Want To Know…?

Let’s open things up a bit. I want to know, what you want to know. What questions do you have about:

• Being an entrepreneur
  • Working from home
  • Running a home-based business
  • Balancing work and home life
  • Frustrations, fears, and struggles
  • Personal development
  • Marketing, branding (though I hate that word), and customer service
  • Technology
  • Organization, productivity, and the home office
  • Or anything else you feel you’d like to know

Of course, I’m not an expert in all of these things. But I dealt with them in my own businesses and with clients a lot over the years. So if I can’t answer the questions myself, I guarantee I can point you in the right direction. There’s also the possibility of a few guest authors to share their knowledge and expertise.

So, let me know. You can leave your questions or topic suggestions in the comments, or if you prefer, send them to me directly. Let me know if you want me to include your name and URL in my response post.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for participating. I’m looking forward to hearing what you want to hear about.

Thanking You for Joining the Conversation

newsI get some really great comments here. Many of you join the conversation with such insightful stuff, that I’m always interested to see what you say.

As a way to say thanks to those commenting, I’ve added Jeffrey Strain’s Top Commentators plug-in to the site. I’ve seen it on some of my favorite blogs and wanted to use it here.

The top 10 commentators each month will be rewarded with a backlink from the sidebar and your name proudly displayed. It’s my way of giving a shout-out to those of you who really contribute to the discussion.

Please keep in mind “nice site” and “me too” comments don’t really add much and I can filter out commentators just trying to get listed. Not that I don’t like being told “nice site,” but I’m really looking to reward those who add to the conversation.

So those who have been jumping in with all the great insights, keep it up. And if you’ve just been lurking, maybe this is a little more incentive to speak up.

I love hearing what you have to say…